Tue, 01/02/2018 – 15:27 / By jon
Why You Need To Clean Your Ducts
Air ducts are components of your HVAC system, sending cool and warm air through the home. It can be confusing as to when you should have them cleaned, but it’s important that you do. As these don’t have to be cleaned often, you might be thinking you get to hold onto your hard earned money – at least for now.
But it’s more beneficial to have them cleaned. It’s an investment in your health as well as your family’s and your long-term finances.
When Should You Have Your Ducts Cleaned
The rule of thumb is to have your ducts cleaned every three to five years, as advised by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. Of course, there are exceptions when it would be better to have done more often or sooner than the original schedule.
- Vermin infestation – If and when there is a clear indicator that animals or insects have made a home of your ducts, immediately have these vermins removed and have your systems cleaned out.
- Visible mold – There are instances when substances appear to be mold, but actually aren’t. Get a sample of this substance and have it tested in a microbiology laboratory first for a mere $50, to avoid from spending an upwards of $500 on a false alarm. Yikes! (You could also get the advice of a reputable HVAC cleaning service, who will most likely offer a free inspection and rough calculation of expenses should you decide to have your air ducts cleaned.)
- Visible particles and odors are released from the ducts – Usually dust particles or contaminants stick on the surface of your systems and are never released into the atmosphere of the establishment. There are several possible causes that result in your ducts coughing out these pollutants, one of which are neglected ducts that have been kept uncheck for long periods of time.
- Poor health – If someone within the vicinity of your home/establishment is unexplainably sick or is experiencing allergic reactions, it might be time to have your HVAC system checked.
Advantages Of Having Your Ducts Cleaned
Having your ducts cleaned costs a lot, but there are important benefits to be gained from doing so, which makes it all worth it.
- Better indoor air quality – Though it has not actually been proven that getting your ducts cleaned improves air quality, there have been reports by people that feel better, breathe easier, and feel healthier after.
- Better working HVAC system – It has been proven that dirty HVAC systems affect its performance. Having it cleaned periodically, or when needed, is essential to maintaining its effectivity and efficiency.
- Removes bad smelling odors – Odor trapping particles could be present within your ducts. A proper clean would contribute to a better smelling environment.
- Save on cash – Duct cleaning results in a better working HVAC system which in return decreases the money spent on heating and cooling costs.
- Increase life of equipment – dust settling on your HVAC system can cause its demise. Cleaning it helps its chances of a longer life, and prevents chances of failure.
Be careful when choosing the right HVAC cleaning service. Companies that offer “cheap” packages might sound like a good deal, but they end up making things worse. You’ll find yourself spending thousands of dollars more to repair any damage they’ve done on your HVAC system. If done wrong, cleaning your ducts could result in more dust and contaminants being released than before. Take note that these services normally cost $500 or more so don’t get scammed!
Make sure your HVAC cleaning service is certified by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA). After the maintenance check, ask that you be able to inspect the air ducts and make sure that it is all clean and free from dust or unnecessary obstructions, before you pay. For more tips, call Absotemp at (248) 960-3100.